Saturday, March 12, 2011

Trying My Hand at Writing

My name is Angie and this is me on my quest to become a writer.  I loved to read and one day I woke up and realized I wanted to write.  I always wanted to but never had the courage to try.  I'm sure everyone has the same doubts and fears at one time or another.  For me it was can I tell a good story?  Will people like what I write?  Can I stand the pressure of not getting published?  This is all the crap that went through my mind.

I have always been an avid reader but in the last four years it has become my life.  I actually have books all over my house and when my husband downloaded a amazon kindle to my laptop I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  So to say the least reading for me is an obsession.

In January I was on the Internet and came across a website that would allow people to apply to review books.  Sounded good to me, read for free and then review the book.  I thought I can do this.  So I have every since about the middle of January.  At first I was nervous because here I was reading some of my favorite authors and then I had to write a review for them.  Talk about pressure.  But now I have really come to enjoy it.  The ladies over at the Long and the Short of It are awesome, they are helpful and give you suggestion on how to make your reviews better.  I love it.  The more I got comfortable with doing the reviews I saw that on the Long and  the Short of It you can submit short stories.  I started thinking this could be a real good learning lesson for me.  So that night I came up with a St. Patrick's Day themed story and the next day I put my thoughts into words and wrote The Luck of the Irish.  I sent into the Long and the Short of It and they are going to publish it on St. Patrick's Day in the there Thursday free  read section.  To say I was excited was an understatement.

My choice of writing is a little hard for my husband to grasp.  I like to write about relationships involving two men.  To me its intriguing.  My whole life I read traditional romances between a man and a woman, so when I stumbled across romance books involving men its like a door open up in my mind.  I just like the dynamics that involve gay men relationships.  I cant explain it but to me its beautiful. 

I hope one day my writings do get publish but it they don't at least I can say I tried that's all any of us can say.  But I do like to write and talk, so this blog should be something fun for me to do. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your blog :-) I hope you enjoy blogging... and it's a great way to get your name out there and start developing a following even BEFORE you sell anything.

    Don't forget to blog fairly regularly and visit other blogs as well... comment and they will come comment back.

    ReplyDelete