Friday, May 17, 2013

Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia 2013




Hello to all and hope everyone is having a fabulous Friday! Today, May 17, is the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, Here's the link to their website: http://dayagainsthomophobia.org/ . This blog hop was designed to celebrate this cause and spread awareness.  Everyone deserves to live in a world where understanding and equality are freely giving not something they should have to fight for. 

Not sure how much people know about me but I'm a straight woman, happily married, with four kids, and I write in the M/M genre. I live in a nice town where literally everyone knows you or they know someone that knows you. Very close nit I'd say. In saying that I haven't experienced the hate that other humans spew out toward others who they considered different. I'm fortunate but it doesn't make me any less offended when I hear people say things or do things in a hurtful manner. My belief is that we are all created equal and should be treated as such.

Like I said I have four kiddos and I'm doing my best to raise them not to be judgmental toward others. Like most kids they say things at times they don't know are hurtful or disrespectful and I have to correct them and tell them why what they said is wrong. Not a huge problem now because they are kids but this is the time to inform then why that is wrong. I don't want them growing up thinking being rude at the expense of others is acceptable. 

Being around my kids and my kids friends I hear a lot and the one thing they all say, except my kids because they no better, is the word gay in a joking and unkind manner. Me being me I step up and ask them to explain to me why they would say that.  Is being gay a bad thing? Something to be shameful of? I'll tell you most kids clam up and have no response to my questions. That is fine they are young but because they are young its the time to tell them why they shouldn't be saying things like that. What might seem funny to them isn't to others. As parents and adults its our job to teach our kids. I'm a firm believer in everything starts at home. So as parents we need to do our part.

This being a blog hop I will be giving out a prize. I'm offering to one lucky winner a $20 gift card to Amazon and any 1 of my books. All you have to do is leave a comment with a correct email. The hop runs from May 17, 2013- May 27, 2013. I'll pick a winner on May 28, 2013. Also there are several individuals participating in this hop so please stop by and check out there postings. This is a blog hop with a cause!




32 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating in the blog hop and hosting the giveaway!

    I appreciated your insights into your town and keeping kids aware and respectful. I think you're right that it all starts at home, and kids also often mimic the people and behavior to which they're exposed. Way to set a good example!

    My email is nicojaye (AT) gmail (DOT) com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking part in the hop!

    kimberlyFDR@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great post!

    gisu29(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking part in this worthwhile blog hop. I appreciate all you authors for doing your part in bringing better understanding to the community.


    ilona
    felinewyvern at googlemail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. As one of the organizers of the HAHAT, I want to thank you for participating. I've raised my kids to not believe there would be a double-standard - it's part of our job as moms, right?

    Hugs
    K-lee Klein
    http://www.chaosinthemoonlight.blogspot.ca/2013/05/hop-against-homophobia-transphobia-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many hopeful, inspiring posts on this hop!

    vitajex(at)Aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. "That's so gay!" What kind of an insult is that? My nephew said it once, and I asked him, "what exactly does that mean?" He said, "you know!" So later, I went around saying, "that's so 13 year old boy!" He asked me what it meant. I said, "nothing. It's an insult."
    Urbanista
    brendurbanist @gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are not at all careful with our term usage. I will be more conscious of it.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post! I love it when parents make sure their kids think about what they're saying and who it could hurt. I've cured a few adults of that nasty habit by asking if they thought it was okay to say "That's so Chinese" as an insult. :)

    Have a fun hop! :)
    Charley
    c.descoteauxwritesATgmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for helping raise awareness of the role that language and word choice plays in society. I've got to hope that every small piece of enlightenment will help make things better. :) Thanks for participating in the blog hop!

    -Marie
    awindandbooks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey A.J,

    I also have two little ones (boys) and I also try to teach them to love. Its been reflected with my oldest in school, he's gotten awards for his kindness, been student of the month a few times, and teachers have shared just how loving he is with every student. So Its my hope that they take it with them to adulthood.

    Thanks for the post!
    pantsoffreviews@live.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for taking part in the blog hop and for sharing a bit about yourself and your kids.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please count me in. Thanks.

    Karl
    slats5663(at)shaw(dot)ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for being a part of the blog hop. :)

    Judi
    arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for taking part in the hop!


    parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You post reinforces what I already believe. Teaching our children tolerance and the that everybody has a right to be who they are, is the way to bring ignorance and tolerance to an end. Thanks for you support of a great cause.
    wcyndy@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a great post. It is true that teaching our children tolerance is one of the best things that we can do for the future. Thank you for participating in the hop.

    Beth
    JPadawan11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the post and hop.
    cvsimpkins@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your post and for being part of the hop.

    strive4bst(At) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you are laying a good foundation for your children; brava.

    ocanana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed your post. I think it does start with children learning to respect themselves and others.

    ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for sharing your post in this blog hop! Such an important subject.

    OceanAkers @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing you wonderful post and participating in this amazing hop!

    sophiebonaste@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree. Change starts at home. I work with kids, and it hurts every time I hear them make jokes like that, or use gay as a derogatory insult. I explain why that's wrong and try to spread awareness, but sometimes, it feels like an uphill battle, especially when I hear their parents making similar jokes and I think, you're just passing that prejudice onto your kids. So it's great to see you doing such a great job with your kids AJ, and thanks for participating!

    tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I heart this post...and I commend you...I was raised in a very bigoted, racist southern household. Who knows how I turned out the way I did? But I'm kind of the opposite of you. I was the kid who taught the parent. My mother, born and raised in a hate-filled environment, is now a gay rights advocate. And every time we get together to discuss an event or a fundraiser, she thanks me...me because for some reason God put a little more acceptance in my heart at an early age...and honestly, I'm just proud to be her daughter...your kids will say that someday...if they aren't already.

    morris.crissy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for participating in this great hop :)

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for being part of the hop, AJ! The issue of language is an important one.
    jarockauthor at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for being a part of the hop. I think that people just don't know how to accept stuff. I try not to judge others. it's their life, not yours so let them be happy. great blog post.
    jessangil at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this hop. Looking forward to more in the Nehalem Pack series!

    LB
    mrmojorsn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the post.

    peggy1984 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree with you whole heartedly. Wonderful post! :) Thank you for sharing! Have a great evening!
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for taking part in the hop!
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete